Phi Phi Island Thailand: how to get to and 7 best hotels to stay
Phi Phi Island (Pee Pee island) is one of the group islands in the Andaman Sea. Phi Phi Islands are the most popular tourist attraction in Thailand. The group is located in Krabi Province, Thailand. The islands are situated about 40 kilometres (25 mi) from Phuket and are administratively part of Ko Lanta municipality.
It is a small archipelago consisting of two main islands: Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Le. Phi Phi Don is the largest island of the group. It has been the centre of development, while Phi Phi Leh is a smaller island located nearby. Phi Phi Don has an area of 4,407 rai (1,098 hectares). The highest point on the island is Khao Mai Kong at 656 meters above sea level.
Both islands have white sandy beaches surrounded by limestone cliffs and crystal clear waters. It`s perfect for snorkelling, scuba diving or just floating in the sea on a day at the beach.
The main town on Phi Phi Island is Ton Sai Village which has many shops, restaurants and bars. There are also plenty of other accommodation options In the Saii Phi Phi island village including bungalows and hotels. You can find it around Ton Sai village or along the beachfront strip of Long Beach (Loh Dalum).
How do you pronounce Phi Phi islands?
The name of this island is pronounced as “Pee Pee“, with a short “i” sound. So, it`s Pee Pee island.
This is the pronunciation used by the locals and in Thailand. The same goes for Phi Phi Leh. Its name is pronounced as “Pee Pee Leh”.
The name “Phi Phi” means “coral” in Thai, and refers to the large limestone outcroppings that dominate the islands. The largest island is also named Phi Phi Don (pronounced “pee pee don”), which means “big breast”.
How to get to Phi Phi island?
Phi Phi Islands are located in southern Thailand and are part of Krabi province. From Bangkok, it takes approximately 3 hours by plane or 5 hours by car to get there. There are also ferry services from Koh Lanta and Krabi town that take about 30 minutes.
If you’re coming from Bangkok, you can take AirAsia tickets for around 1,400 THB per person and the flight takes about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Alternatively, you can take a bus from Bangkok. It will cost around 700 THB per person and take about 7-8 hours depending on traffic conditions.
If you’re coming from Phuket or Krabi town, you can take a boat which costs around 400 THB per person and takes around 30 minutes. In case you`re coming from Ao Nang or Railay Beach area, there is a direct longtail boat service available (300 THB) which takes around 10-15 minutes depending on sea conditions.
When you’re staying in Phuket city and going to go from Phuket to Phi Phi island it’s possible to arrange a snorkelling tour that includes getting.
What to do on Phi Phi islands
Phi Phi Islands have become a top destination for tourists from all over the world. It`s the ultimate destination for travellers looking to get away from it all. They offer pristine beaches and plenty of activities for everyone.
It has everything from beaches to waterfalls, from shopping malls to pubs. You can spend your day relaxing on white sandy beaches by swimming or snorkelling in clear blue waters or go exploring caves and mountains on Kayaking tours with local guides. In addition to diving and snorkelling activities on land, there are also many opportunities to go out on sailboats or other water vehicles.
The most popular activities on the Phi Phi islands include hiking along some of the many trails through the jungle, visiting Maya Bay where ‘The Beach’ was filmed and checking out some of the local shops selling handmade items or local souvenirs like t-shirts or jewellery made from shells found on the beach.
Phi Phi island: hotels to stay
If you’re planning to visit this beautiful island, there are many hotels on Phi Phi Island that you can choose from.
Here are some of the best hotels on Phi Phi Island:
- Phi Phi Banyan Tree Resort. The Banyan Tree Resort is located on Loh Dalum Bay. It provides a wonderful place to stay for those who want to relax near the beach. The hotel offers a wide range of facilities including restaurants, bars, a spa and a swimming pool. There are also plenty of activities that guests can enjoy. For example snorkelling or diving at Maya Bay or exploring underwater caves nearby.
- Phi Phi Laguna Resort & Spa. This is another luxury resort located near Maya Bay. Their guests can enjoy their stay while enjoying luxurious amenities such as an infinity pool with Jacuzzi jets, spa treatments, a barbeque pit by the beach and much more! Guests staying here will be able to explore Maya Bay or visit Ton Sai or Laem Tong beaches which are both close by.
- Palita Lodge & Resort. This hotel offers great service and a wide range of facilities for all budgets. It has rooms with different views. From this, you can enjoy the amazing scenery of Phi Phi Don Island and its surrounding waters. The resort also offers dining options and activities such as swimming, snorkelling and diving, among others.
- The Cliff Beach Resort. This resort has been ranked one of the top 10 resorts in Thailand by TripAdvisor users in 2017. It offers luxurious rooms with spectacular views of the Andaman Sea and Loh Dalum Bay on Phi Phi Ley island. The hotel also has excellent dining options as well as spa services, a fitness centre and other amenities. That will make your stay truly enjoyable!
- Paradise Beach Resort & Spa. Paradise Beach Resort & Spa is another popular pick among travellers on TripAdvisor. It gave it an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars based on over 200 reviews from
- Cha-La-La Boutique Resort & Spa. This hotel is located near Maya Bay on Koh Phi Phi Don Island. The resort has an outdoor swimming pool and fitness centre. There are also several restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
- Phi Phi Island Village Resort. This resort is located on Loh Dalum Bay on Koh Phi Phi Don Island. It has an outdoor swimming pool and fitness centre. There are several restaurants within walking distance of this resort as well as shops where you can buy souvenirs.
Are Phi Phi islands open for tourists?
After being closed to tourists for almost four years, the Koh Phi Phi islands reopened in 2022. So now is a great time to visit! However, notice that the best time to visit the island is during the dry season from November to May.
You might find it interesting as well: Best Island Vacations for Families: Top 10 Destinations to Choose